Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Nearer My God, To Thee

August 5, 2016


Hellllooooo! 
 

Pageant is over, and things are starting to slow down here. On the last night of Pageant, we were on clean up duty and stayed up until 1 AM with the Iowa elders to clean up the chairs, the country fair, and the lights. Then the next morning we had 7:50AM church. Gotta love that missionary life :-)
 
 
Since our schedules are less crazy now, we get more time on Teaching Center! Yay! We have been able to talk to some amazing people this week. One of the biggest blessings of being a Visitor’s Center missionary is the opportunity to talk with people online. The people who come on chat/call in are amazing, and I’m so thankful for the many opportunities I have to help others in so many different ways.
 
This week I was thinking a lot about how much I love the sisters here. Only 10 Nauvoo sisters get called a year, and it’s so evident that we are all here for a reason. All of us, bringing different perspectives and talents, united in the service of others. It’s a powerful thing. It amazes me that God loves us enough to bring specific people across the world just to meet. That’s something my companion and I talk about a lot. We are sent here from so many various places, and God sends us Visitor's (and other missionaries) to help from around the world. So much work put into making sure two people can have a conversation. I love it.

                                                                                                The lovely sisters I live with ♥
Sorry for all the photos, I just LOVE THESE SISTERS
 
Well, I'll end this email with a beautiful Jewish prayer found in the Union Prayer Book:
 
"O Lord, I shut out the din and fret and littleness of things that I may feel myself alone with you in the silence. As a child yields itself to loving arms, I yield myself to you, asking for nothing, complaining about nothing. What if my labor is hard, what if my lot is humble, what if my dreams turn into futile tears, if only there is the peace of your nearness in my heart. There comes to me in the stillness, despite the terror and tumult of life, a trust in a goodness that nourishes the roots of the grassblade, that glows in the flaming star, and attains fulfillment in the soul of mortals. How healing and strengthening is this communion with you, O God! If only I could always abide in it! But I must go forth again to the struggle for daily bread, to the restlessness of desire and the fear of pain, to the disillusionment of dreams that never come true. Let me not go forth alone, O God. Abide now deep in the solitude of my heart, that I may trust in you and be unafraid in the face of the inscrutable years, and see that everything happens for the best. Amen."
♥Sister Pugmire

1. Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!
E'en though it be a cross
That raiseth me.
Still all my song shall be
 
[Chorus]
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!

2. Though like the wanderer,
The sun gone down,
Darkness be over me,
My rest a stone,
Yet in my dreams I'd be
 
3. There let the way appear,
Steps unto heav'n;
All that thou sendest me,
In mercy giv'n;
Angels to beckon me
 
4. Then with my waking thoughts
Bright with thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs
Bethel I'll raise;
So by my woes to be
 
5. Or if, on joyful wing
Cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot,
Upward I fly,
Still all my song shall be
 
Text: Sarah F. Adams, 1805-1848

No comments:

Post a Comment